I'm happy to announce that Dwarf Fortress Remote 1.20 is available on the App Store. This release brings support for DF version 0.43.03, almost the latest game release, and contains several other improvements.
What's new in the game
Releases 0.42 and 0.43 greatly change the game. You can now designate taverns, libraries and temples, and set tavern keepers, scholars and other occupations. Visitors, including other races, will come to your fortress to work in this locations or join your military, petition for residency and citizenship. Dwarves and visitors will spend time drinking, dancing, playing music, reading books, praying and discussing various matters. Children will play with toys. Art forms and musical instruments are randomly generated, latter requiring to be assembled from several parts.
Another set or changes is related to workshop jobs and manager orders. It is now possible to set certain job details like material, size, type of decoration and image. Manager orders can target specific workshops, start conditions and repeat frequency can be set (although not all of this is currently supported in Remote, see below).
I've decided to release the new version now, even though some of the new game features are not supported. This will allow me to work on other great things, like sound and creature graphics, while also implementing the remaining new game features in the next application updates.
Image specification for jobs is not fully supported - you can't create a custom image or choose an image related to historical figure. Engraving designation image specification is not supported altogether. Setting conditions for manager orders and per-workshop orders are not supported.
Saves from 0.40 are compatible with 0.43. You can follow the new simplified setup instructions to configure a new server, and continue playing your games with new features. However some of the new stuff may not be available until you create a new world.
If you have installed any of the tilesets, you will need to download them again to ensure correct rendering in version 0.43.
I will also post upgrade instructions for Docker users shortly. (EDIT: There are available here)
- Current job/activity is shown in unit query mode for the selected unit
- Support for auto-mining modes
- Quick erase mode - a new button to quickly switch from designation modes to 'remove designations' mode and back
- Confirmation is shown when trying to offer/seize goods and when trying to trade with huge trader profit
- When issuing a squad move command, long press OK button to do it without returning to the squads list afterwards
- Show magma-safe status in stone preferences view
And finally, number of bug fixes
- Fixed assignment of animals to chains and activity zones
- Fixed not being able to view wagon in look mode
- Fixed not being able to create new uniforms after deleting all existing ones
- Fixed manager timer not being reset after adding new manager orders, resulting in manager not validating them for a long time
Consider supporting Bay 12 Game if you like Dwarf Fortress.