I’m happy to announce our first Mac application - Planito.
Planito is your browser for planet Earth (and others). It is an online and offline viewer for aerial imagery, maps, placemarks and other geospatial data layers for Earth, Moon and other planets from various data sources.
In its simplest form Planito can be used as online and offline viewer for OpenStreetMap-family maps. But there are many more layers available with interesting and useful data for travelers, students and teachers, scientists. Here are only some of them: Wikimapia.org objects, Booking.com hotels, current temperature from weather stations all over the world, US Topo Maps, UNESCO World Heritage sites. Thanks to extensible architecture more and more layers will become available for existing and new users.
Planito is currently in review and will be available soon from the Mac App Store for introductory price of $2.99 (USD).
- Layered display - you decide what information you want to see
- Multitouch navigation, Lion fullscreen mode
- Bookmarks, Search, Offline mode
- Support for autoupdating layers with dynamic data (eg. temperature data, earthquakes, etc.)
- Tile Downloader to download specified area and zoom levels for offline usage, supporting simultaneous downloading of tiles for different layers or areas
- Own URL protocol to easily share links to points of interest (also handles NASA WorldWind links)
- Paste & Go feature that accepts links from many browser-based map services
Planito in the Mac App Store | Planito home page | Planito on Facebook